Monday, June 7, 2010

double trouble

ok ok.....i realize i haven't been doing good recently with the blog postings. not even sure how many people check this on the reg. but it's summer! i lose track and am always trying to be outside instead of in front of a computer.

i missed the last viva playlist i did. so now you're getting two. both have some equally amazing artists to look into.

FIRST

I randomly found the first track (Rubies featuring Feist) on my iTunes shuffle not having any clue where it came from. And took the playlist from there. Threw in a few favorites such as Atlas Sound and Slowdive.


Smith Westerns is a band to look out for. When i first heard this track i thought it was T. Rex but it took a sweet turn and found it's own niche. I think this is the only song of theirs i have...might need to find some more.


The Black Ryder. Whoa. They are coming out on Mexican Summer this summer and I got a chance to listen to the album...so good!! Yes, it sounds like My Bloody Valentine, but it's good so fuck it. It's never a bad thing to sound like one of your favorite bands. I'm hoping to check these aussies out if they make it over this way.


Women. Every time a song comes on in my shuffle i have to check to see who it is and then it's like....oh of course, it's women. I really like this band.

Rubies featuring Feist - I Feel Electric (Tiedye Remix)
Chromatics - I Want Your Love
Nite Jewel - What Did He Say
Atlas Sound - Recent Bedroom
Smith Westerns - Be My Girl
Women - Shaking Hand
The Black Ryder - Gone Without Feeling
My Bloody Valentine - Drive It All Over Me
Slowdive - 40 Days
Chapterhouse - Pearl
Panda Bear - Im Not
Grizzly Bear - Deep Sea Diver
Pavement - Heaven is a Truck



SECOND


Lots of goodies on this one. I recently tracked down the NME C86 mix and found a bevy of songs i had never heard. I'll probably stagger these out. First one to make a playlist is Celestial City by McCarthy. I find myself playing this in my head when i'm not listening to music. It's a fav of the moment. Definitely going to try and find more of their stuff.


I put a lot of old friends on this playlist including The Feelies, Jonathan Richman, Galaxie 500, Vaselines, etc. I was actually turned on to The Feelies by my pal Matt "viva radio" Werth a few years ago and they have been a crush since then.


No Joy is a new band, also on Mexican Summer (jesus they're kinda killing it lately no?). I went to see them last week and i was quite impressed. it's the project of two chicks but they played with a full band. and these girls come prepared to really give it their all. I'm gonna be on the lookout for more of their songs.

Lastly i put together a collection of strong drums and dancey guitar riffs. Gun Club, Bow Wow Wow, Adam and the Ants, Haircut 100, and Spandau Ballet (i forgot how much i love these guys for a minute).

Jonathan Richman - I'm Straight
Kurt Vile - Ocean City
The Kinks - All Night Stand
McCarthy - Celestial City
Galaxie 500 - Leave the Planet
The Feelies - The High Road
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World
No Joy - No Summer
The Vaselines - Monsterpussy
Swell Maps - Secret Island
Joy Division - Twenty Four Hours
Gun Club - Sex Beat
Bow Wow Wow - C30 C60 C90 Go!
Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier
Haircut 100 - Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)
Spandau Ballet - The Freeze
Human League - Seconds

No comments: